Your Questions...Our Answers:

Is there a waiting period before I can report someone missing?

No. You may make a missing person report whenever you realize someone is missing.

I have left my spouse and am living elsewhere but I need to get my clothing and other items. Can the police help me?

The Police Department will send an officer to keep the peace and prevent violence while you retrieve your belongings, which is limited to a change of clothes and medication. Call the police from a public telephone near to where your belongings are, and an officer will go to the house with you.

Can I make a police report at any time of day and do I need to make an appointment?

The Police Department will respond 24 hours a day, seven days a week to any requests for police assistance. Dial 911, explain your situation, and an officer will be dispatched to you. Our administrative Office is only open from 8:30am until 5:00pm. If you come to the Carrboro Century Center office (100 N. Greensboro St.) at other hours, pick up the red phone on the outside of the building and an officer will meet you at the police department.

Can I make a police report over the telephone or does a police officer have to come to my house?

Some reports can be taken over the telephone during normal business hours. The call taker can determine if your report can be handled over the telephone. The non-emergency phone number is 919-918-7397.

Can the police open my car if I have locked my keys inside?

Because of the potential for damage to your vehicle and injury to the police officer, our department does not open locked vehicles. A locksmith is your best alternative. If a child is locked inside the vehicle, the Police Department will send a patrol unit to remove the child from the vehicle, possibly by breaking a window.

Someone has abandoned a junk car in my parking lot or on my property. Can the police tow it away for me?

The police can only tow away vehicles abandoned on public property. Call a wrecker service in your area, and the vehicle will be towed away at no cost to you. The wrecker service will notify the Police Department once they have the vehicle to determine ownership.

How can I find out if someone is in jail, when someone in jail can be visited, and any other information about persons in jail?

Call the jail information number, 919-644-3050, for questions about someone in jail. The jail is administered by the Orange County Sheriff's Department.

My friend or relative is overdue returning home. How can I find out if they were in a traffic accident?

The Police Department's dispatch center does not have the names of persons involved in accidents available. If a person is injured in an accident and unable to call themselves, we will notify their family.

I do not have any transportation and have to get somewhere. Can a police officer give me a ride?

NO! Police officers cannot provide rides.

I need to get a message to someone that does not have a telephone. Can the Police Department go to the person's home and deliver the message?

The Police Department can only deliver emergency messages.

Why did it take so long for the police to come when I called them last night?

All requests for police services are prioritized based on the seriousness of the incident and the potential for injury or damage to property. At times, calls of a less urgent nature must be delayed so that we can respond immediately to emergencies.

My family and I are going on vacation. Can the police keep an eye on our home while we are gone?

You can submit a house check request via our police-to-citizen website. The information will be passed on to the officers that patrol your neighborhood. While we cannot "watch" your house, the officer will try to check on it each day.

We have a problem with speeders in our neighborhood. What can we do about it?

Call the Police Department at 919-918-7397 and request additional traffic patrol in your area. We will make arrangements for the area patrol vehicles to increase traffic enforcement when possible.  You may also submit a request through our website Request Tracker by clicking "Report a Concern" or clicking HERE

How do I apply for a position with the Police Department?

Call the Town of Carrboro's Human Resources Department at 919-918-7320 for employment information or to see a list of the current available employment opportunities in Carrboro click HERE.

Should I report suspicious activity in my neighborhood?

The Police Department depends on citizens calling to report crimes or suspicious activity. The person who takes your call will ask questions about the activity to determine its nature and ask for descriptions of the people involved. You will be asked for your name and address but you may refuse this information and we will still respond to the report.  If it is an Emergency please call 911 and for Non Emergency please call 919-732-5063.

How can I evict someone from my property?

Eviction is a legal process that often times requires a court order and filing for a "Summary Ejectment." Call the Orange County Clerk of Court for more information 919-644-4545.

What can I do about stray dogs and cats and barking dogs?

The Animal Control Enforcement officer is responsible for calls involving dogs and cats. The number for the Orange County Animal Services Department is 919-942-7387.

Can I report drunk drivers to 911 on my cellular telephone?

Yes, calls to 911 on a cellular telephone are free. Do not try to pursue the drunk driver or place yourself in any danger. When you call, you will be asked for the description of the car, where it is, and the direction it is going.

When can I report a loud noise issue?
The Town of Carrboro has a 24-hour noise ordinance.  Generally, if the noise being made is too loud for you and/or offensive, it is a violation of the Town Noise Ordinance.   Section 5-11 and 5-12 cover the specifics of the noise ordinance.
Does the Carrboro Police Department offer fingerprinting services for Professional Licensure, Employment or FBI Background checks?

Yes, we offer fingerprinting services for Carrboro Residents ONLY.  We do them on Wednesdays between 10 am and 12pm, by appointment ONLY.  There is a $20 fee per appointment, payable by cash or check ONLY.   Please call us at 919-918-7397 to schedule.


If you are not a Carrboro resident, then unfortunately, we cannot offer this service to you. However, the Orange County Sheriff's Office also offers this service to all Orange Co residents. Please click the link to be directed to their website for more info.  If you are neither a Carrboro nor an Orange Co. resident, please check with your local Sheriff's office.